In this article, we have reviewed the UK’s best home cinema speaker systems. The article starts with the basics of home cinemas, what they are, the constituents of a modern home cinema system, what are channels in latest top reviewed home cinema sound systems.
We then review multiple amazing home cinema systems and come up without best choices.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Home Cinema?
- 2 How to Install a Home Cinema
- 3 Channels
- 4 Best Surround Sound Speakers for Home Cinema – Our Top Picks!
- 5 Best Home Cinema Subwoofer
- 6 Best Amplifier for Home Theatre Systems
- 7 Top 3 Best Home Cinema Sound Systems
What Is A Home Cinema?
Home cinema, commonly referred to as a home theatre is a system that brings together hi-end audio and video equipment in a way that the user is able to bring the movie theatre experience, to the home.
8 Essential Parts of a Home Cinema
- A television
- Video sources – Blu-Ray movies, CD/DVD
- Home theatre receiver-this is the control centre for the audio
- Speakers and subwoofer
- Cables for connecting the different components of the home cinema
- Universal Remotes
- Storage media such as USB devices
- Internet connectivity – some home cinemas support internet connectivity with the inbuilt WiFi.
How to Install a Home Cinema
Putting together a home cinema is not complicated if the buyer has the all the items needed. It is very important the components go where they are required to get the best experience out of the home theatre system.
Centre Channel Speaker
This speaker should be placed directly below or above the display. Most of the dialogue from the movie is transmitted through the centre speaker. The centre speaker should be located as close as possible to the television and is the most important of the set of home cinema speakers.
These are the front left or right speakers that carry stereo soundtrack information, off-screen effects, in addition to the background environments. Placing these main speakers together creates a small soundstage. Placing them too far apart creates a gap in the soundstage of the three front speakers.
Therefore, an ideal distance should be established between the speakers to create a balanced sound stage in the three front speakers. These speakers should be placed as close as possible to the ear level.
Placing surround speakers gives many buyers problems. Surround speakers should be placed to the left and right direction.
A poorly placed subwoofer can spoil a great home cinema sound system. Many sellers advise the buyer to place the subwoofer in a corner of the room.
However, there is no designated location. It depends on the room setting and where the user would want the home cinema system to be.
In situations where there are tiny satellite speakers, a subwoofer is best placed at the front of the room.
One of the things that confuse buyers when they go to buy home cinema sound systems are the numbers such as 2.1, 5.1 and 9.1 with regard to the home cinema specifications and the surround sound.
The first part represents the number of channels that the home cinema sound system can receive or the number of channels that are present in a soundtrack. These channels have the ability to reproduce audio frequencies in a full range, starting from normal bass to the high frequencies. This number is normally 2, 5 or 9.
There is also another channel that is present which only has the ability to reproduce extremely low frequencies. These frequencies are regarded as the low-frequency effect.
A 1 is designated to this channel because it can only produce a portion of the spectrum of the audio channel. The low-frequency effect uses a custom speaker called a subwoofer.
A subwoofer only has the ability to reproduce very low frequencies. It has also been designed to exclude frequencies above a certain range.
The .2 Exception
Buyers also come across home cinema sound system labelled as 5.2, 7.2 or 9.2. In simple terms, what this means is that the cinema sound system comes with two subwoofers. However, it is not necessarily that both subwoofers will be used, unless the buyer has a large room to accommodate all that sound.
It is advisable that speaker should be placed in such a way that people seated at different positions of the room can receive sound in a good quality. Speakers can be bought separately for connecting with a laptop, a personal computer or a home theatre system.
Defined in root means square (RMS), speaker wattage refers to the amount the amplifier will produce per channel.
Best Surround Sound Speakers for Home Cinema – Our Top Picks!
Logitech Z506 Surround Sound Speakers
- Can be connected to the games console, personal computer, iPod, DVD player and more
- Very powerful to fill an entire room (75w)
- Deep bass making movies and music livelier.
- The bass can be controlled depending on the user’s preference.
Hyundai Multicav Surround Sound Speakers 1150 Watts
- Very powerful surround system with a total output of 1150 watts.
- Comes with rear speakers which can be mounted on a wall.
- Front grills are removable.
- The design is neutral thus blending smoothlessly with other items in the room.
- Centre speakers are two way combined with Neodymium Tweeters
Best Home Cinema Subwoofer
Role and importance of a Subwoofer
A subwoofer is designed to reproduce frequencies that are low bass in quality. These frequencies range from 20 Hz to 125 Hz.
In home cinema sound systems, a subwoofer will give the sound effects the rumble and punch so that it does not appear like normal spoken voices. Subwoofers can be bought separately from the main system.
Yamaha Yst-Fsw100 Bass Subwoofer Speaker
- Designed with advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology II
- The amplifier is a digital drive thus providing higher efficiency and sound quality.
- The system can minimize extraneous noise using the linear port
- Deep bass
- 130 watts power output.
Wharfedale Diamond Sw150 Subwoofer
Award-winning design · Sound is powerful and controlled · Designed with high and low-level sound inputs making it ideal for home cinema systems and hi-fi.
Best Amplifier for Home Theatre Systems
An amplifier is an electronic device whose main function is increasing the wavelength of sound. Amplifiers can be bought separately for speaker systems, guitars and home cinema sound systems.
Pioneer A-10-K 50w Stereo Amplifier
- The design is direct energy with a construction that is symmetrical
- The connectivity is immediate to the network and recorders
- 100 watts of power.
- Auto power down
Rockburn 10 Watt Practice Amplifier
- Comes with an output of 10 watt RMS
- The speaker unit is 1×5 inches
- Comes with a jack for headphones
- Item weighs only 3kgs
- Comes with an option to control volume, bass and treble
- Easy to carry since it has a handle.
Top 3 Best Home Cinema Sound Systems
LG Bh9540tw 1460w 9.1 Channel Home Cinema System
- Comes with playback option for 3D Blue-Ray. This system is only compatible with 3d televisions.
- The surround sound is 9.1 with 1460 watts of power. Comes with 9 speakers and one woofer.
- Bluetooth enabled
- Speaker material is aramid fibre – this is resistant to external effects that can distort the sound. Thus the sound produced is clear and crisp. Also comes with wireless rear speakers which are easy to install.
Sony Bdv-E4100 1000 W Home Cinema System
- Full HD, 1000 watts and Bluetooth enabled
- Channel surround sound is 5.1 ideal for home theatres.
- 2 tall compact speakers, 3 smaller speakers.
- One subwoofer
- Easy to connect to the internet due to the inbuilt wifi functionality.
Panasonic SC-BTT465EBK 1000W 5.1
- Full HD
- Blu-Ray disc playback
- Bluetooth enabled for wireless audio streaming
- 2 tall speakers, 2 satellite speakers
- Crystal clear sound.